Tag Archives: NN4SA Station
The HF Amplifier beside the Yaesu FT-950.
The power switch is located on the West wall. The box (actually a pill bottle) to control TX switching of the amplifier has been built to link it to the Yaesu transmitter.
This gallery contains 30 photos.
A photo album of photos I took last week Wednesday (October 7). We attached the new HyGain TH-11-DX beam antenna to its mast on the tower, and completed assembling the last antenna segment. With much care and attention to safety, … Continue reading
Connecting the ground rods.Rob taking his turn cranking up the tower. Rob installed the PL259 and we made the connection to the rig.
Next we checked the tower manual to see what limits the tower travel. There was no mention of cranking up the tower other than what to do if travel binds up.Just imagine what field day would be like if the antenna on the old 90′ tower was functional.
For our work-play session on September 16th, we assembled the antenna elements of the TH-DX-11. We were visited by KS4UA, who took the photos.
During lunch on September 28, Don N4MSN met up with Stephen Duncheskie KK4IBB and his post driver at at the club. Within minutes they finished installing two ground rods adjacent to the tower. They are hard to identify in the pictures so Don circled them. [Photos by Don N4MSN]
This Beast is Screaming
At our last Work-Play session on August 12th, we tried to retune our 160 meter Off Center Fed (OCF) antenna.
We had been using it as our primary multi-band HF dipole antenna. It worked well on a number of bands: 80, 40, and 30 meters, portions of 17, 15, and 10 meters, and the upper half of the 160 meter band. We could not, however, tune our transceiver on the lower portion of 160 meters, including the CW portion, without using an extra antenna tuner. Now we have dedicated dipole antennas for most of those other bands. And so, led by the Station Operation Committee team, we decided to try to retune the 160 meter OCF, to make it usable on the rest of the 160 meter band.
Our first attempt was to change the lengths of the antenna wire at each end. We removed earlier extensions at the ends and soldered different lengths.
The antenna analyzer results looked good. That is, we had resonance now at a lower frequency on the 160 meter band. However, later testing with our rig showed we still had a high Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) with the rig grounded. Time for more Sherlocking.